Town Planning for a Property Subdivision


The town planning stage can  be the most challenging stage as there are several parties to bring onside who  include  the local Victorian Council's town planning department, their traffic, environmental, waste and urban design departments.  


" No planning permit means no build. A planning approval is your license to start development!"


The  external authorities like the CFA, VicRoads, Melbourne Water, sewer and stormwater assset holders  will also  need to consent to an approval if the land comes under their jurisdiction through an overlay or asset.


By comparison the building stage is more controllable.


We provide a full management service from lodgement of Town Planning Application for the dual occ, townhouse or unit development  and move on   to responding to Council requests for further information, negotiating with objectors if any and attend VCAT should there be a challenge to granting a decision by an objector.


The workflow for Town Planning can be simply summarised as:


  • Prepare Town Planning documents and reports

  • Submit to your local Melbourne Council

  • Receive acknowledgement of receipt and planning officer name  handling the application

  • Laise with the planning officer

  • Recieve the Request(s) for Further Information (RFI)

  • Respond the the RFI(s)

  • Advertise the Application

  • Manage the objections by phone or consultantation

  • Laise vigourously with Council officers and Councillors as needs be and attend meetings

  • A decision is issued by Council

  • VCAT attendance is charged out separately


As a consultant I have been responsible for and worked to obtain multiple town planning permits from Melbourne metropolitan  and regional Councils including  Banyule, Bayside, City of Ballarat, Boroondara, Brimbank, Cardinia, Casey, Darebin, Frankston, Glen Eira, Greater Dandenong, City of Geelong,Hobsons Bay, Hume, Kingston, Knox, Manningham, Maribyrnong, Maroondah, Melbourne, Melton, Monash, Moonee Valley, Moreland, Mornington Peninsula, Macedon Ranges Shire,  Nillumbik, Port Phillip, Stonnington, Whitehorse, Whittlesea, Wyndham, Yarra and Yarra Ranges Planning Schemes.


Property Subdivision Process


The Property subdivision process can take various forms. One can obtain a planning permit and subdivision permit approved from your local council. Once the property owner fulfills the subdivision Permit conditions they are ready to lodge the new lots with the Titles Offices.


If one is building the project, then it makes sense to register the titles when all services are in as part of the development.


In green field sites, the lots are registered after the services including roads, crossovers, drainage works are completed.

Please reload

Featured Posts

Property development basics

August 20, 2015

Please reload

Recent Posts