top of page
  • Writer's pictureSwarup Dutta

Town Planning for a Property Subdivision

Town Planning success depends on knowledge

The town planning stage can be the most challenging stage as there are several parties to bring onside who include the local Victorian Council's town planning department, their traffic, environmental, waste and urban design departments.

" No planning permit means no build. A planning approval is your license to start development!"

The external authorities like the CFA, VicRoads, Melbourne Water, sewer and stormwater assset holders will also need to consent to an approval if the land comes under their jurisdiction through an overlay or asset.

By comparison the building stage is more controllable.

We provide a full management service from lodgement of Town Planning Application for the dual occ, townhouse or unit development and move on to responding to Council requests for further information, negotiating with objectors if any and attend VCAT should there be a challenge to granting a decision by an objector.

The workflow for Town Planning can be simply summarised as:

  • Prepare Town Planning documents and reports

  • Submit to your local Melbourne Council

  • Receive acknowledgement of receipt and planning officer name handling the application

  • Laise with the planning officer

  • Recieve the Request(s) for Further Information (RFI)

  • Respond the the RFI(s)

  • Advertise the Application

  • Manage the objections by phone or consultantation

  • Laise vigourously with Council officers and Councillors as needs be and attend meetings

  • A decision is issued by Council

  • VCAT attendance is charged out separately

As a consultant I have been responsible for and worked to obtain multiple town planning permits from Melbourne metropolitan and regional Councils including Banyule, Bayside, City of Ballarat, Boroondara, Brimbank, Cardinia, Casey, Darebin, Frankston, Glen Eira, Greater Dandenong, City of Geelong,Hobsons Bay, Hume, Kingston, Knox, Manningham, Maribyrnong, Maroondah, Melbourne, Melton, Monash, Moonee Valley, Moreland, Mornington Peninsula, Macedon Ranges Shire, Nillumbik, Port Phillip, Stonnington, Whitehorse, Whittlesea, Wyndham, Yarra and Yarra Ranges Planning Schemes.

Property Subdivision Process

The Property subdivision process can take various forms. One can obtain a planning permit and subdivision permit approved from your local council. Once the property owner fulfills the subdivision Permit conditions they are ready to lodge the new lots with the Titles Offices.

If one is building the project, then it makes sense to register the titles when all services are in as part of the development.

In green field sites, the lots are registered after the services including roads, crossovers, drainage works are completed.

58 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Unlocking the Hidden Potential: The Benefits of Property Subdivision Are you looking to maximize the value of your property and explore new opportunities for development? Property subdivision might ju

bottom of page