• Swarup Dutta

First Time Property Developer

Updated: Dec 16, 2019

How to develop your property . Step by step process.

First things first!


What can you build on your block of land? A dual occupancy (2 houses on the block) or more than two?

Contact us for a complimentary Site opinion.


Once we agree on the best fit for the land, the Town Planning documentation, including a Planning Report, is prepared and submitted to your local Council. See an example here.

Council may require some design modifications and then advertise the Application.

Neighbours - in fact any one- can comment or object to the Advertised plans.

Council will take these into consideration before making a decision.


Once a Planning Permit is issued and drawings stamped by Council, we start the Building Permit documentation which is more comprehensive.


At Building Permit preparation stage, Engineering, soil report, energy report etc are required by the Building Surveyor who will certify the plans.

Your builder can then quote and provide a written contract.

Your Lender will require the Contract, Building Permit stamped drawings to offer a Construction loan.

You can then start the building process.


Once the services are installed ( sewer, water, connection to storm water, power, NBN etc) , you can think of subdividing the lots or can do it at any stage after the construction is completed.

  • Site Assessment.

AuArchitecture will take into consideration the critical data your local councils will assess for a development application.

Items like property title, easements, covenants if any, parking, vegetation, zoning, overlays, site dimensions, aspect/orientation, neighbourhood character development precedence to name a few.

  • Town Planning Documentation

AuArchitecture will prepare a comprehensive suite of plans, elevations, shadow diagrams, design response, a planning report to name some of the components which will constitute a Planning Application.

We will address any concerns or permit condition design change Councils will require before issuing a Planning approval and stamped drawings.

  • Building Permit

Once the Planning drawings are stamped, we can start on the Building Permit documentations.

They will include all the drawings required fora builder to tender on the project.

We will complete and co ordinate the other consultants works.

At the least, there will be a set of Construction drawings by an Architect or Registered Building Practitioner, Specifications, Structural engineering design and computations, civil engineering ( drainage design), Energy report, soil report and others as required.

23 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Watch out for Covenants on the Title!

Some property titles may have a covenant attached to it. They remain till removed. The two troublesome ones we find are: Single dwelling covenants and External walls must be built in brick. The Singl

AuArchitecture Melbourne

Mail only : #223, 2/134 Pascoe Vale Road ,Moonee Ponds 3039.


M:  0448 170 132 call me direct -7 days  from 9am to 7pm for the best advice on dual occupancy subdivision, custom home design, commercial projects  or town planning matters. 



  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

AuArchitecture will gladly donate  design and planning services  to charitable organisations worldwide. 

We would love to serve you through smart and beautiful  designs for your dream house, dual occupancy, townhouse or apartment projects or commercial and industrial buildings which makes  a difference.

I recall doing a

  • large multi unit  residential design with a sky-street on the fifth level for the kids to play in safety while  creating  a real sense of community living and  

  • a modular home design which grew with the family budget rather like a series of plug in components and 

  • the windmill house with views where each stair landing led to a different view and function and

  • right down to designing and obtaining planning permits for practical traditional designs to meet the family  or developer's budget and objectives.

Our Founder has  worked on hundreds of development sites for dual occupancy and townhouses. He worked on commercial, health, education, retail and leisure projects to name a few other disciplines.

Our professional designs are flexible to suit your vision and realistic to meet your budget.

We advise you must seek legal and financial advice prior to making a commitment on any property development venture. The opinions we provide are general in nature.

© Copyright